MY GRANDPA

Series-2


Designed by Komman Man


Living with Periyar I had the opportunity of meeting Karmaveerar Kamarajan, Peraringar Anna, Makkal Thilagam M.G.R and so many front line leaders of Tamil Nadu, irrespective of various political parties.

He was my financial controller, who made me credit my salary from the first month I joined my work, by opening a bank account. Later on, when a considerable amount was saved in my accounts, Periyar helped me to purchase a land of 1 1/2 grounds, nearby Nadigar Thilagam Shivaji Ganesan's residency amidst the strong opposition of Thiru. R.V.Venkatraman,(ex. President of India), then a minister in Tamil Nadu. I had faced enough problems from him, as I am a close relative of Thanthai Periyar. I could not forget this till my last breath.


Abolition of Brahamanal Coffee Clubs

 In those days Coffee shops were run in the names of castes like "Brahamanal coffee club, Udipi coffee club, Ayyangar coffee club and so on. Thanthai Periyar strongly condemned this as an Anti-Social Practice because no other caste was allowed in the Brahamanal coffee club. So, Periyar called for a public strike against this caste-based atrocities and strongly advised the people concern to give up this kind of practice. After a long struggle, it was changed to normal coffee clubs and all are allowed to take food regardless of any castes.

Periyar and opposition of Hindi

When Hindi was imposed in Tamil Nadu, people of our state from all walks of life agitated against this policy. These agitations were severely controlled by the Central Govt. with the help of The Indian Army; shootings were taken place, innocent lives were sacrificed in 1964.

During this Period Thanthai Periyar strongly advised the Govt. employees who are supporting the Anti-Hindi agitations, not to come in front lines. Instead, exhibiting their support indirectly in order to save their jobs. Following his commands, we, Govt. employees yield our strong support indirectly.
In this way, I had participated many public agitations for the social cause.
   
                                                         
                                                               (To be Contd.)

-Kumaran.R.T

Comments

Popular Posts