MY GRANDPA

Series-3

   Designed by Komman Man

About Periyar Thidal

 We, all unanimously decided to build " Periyar Thidal". At that time, Thiru. Kuthusi Gurusamy had written an editorial column quoting, "Vellikasugalai alli veesungal" meaning "Donate magnanimously". So, part of the Railway employees like me and my Atmamitran Rajamanickam and also other Govt. workers paid a part of a month's salary as donations to raise Periyar Thidal; not only that, we wholeheartedly volunteered as building labourers to build Periyar Thidal. Even now I am proud of myself to yield my part at least as the size of a tiny grain in the construction of Periyar Thidal. It was a great moment in my life.

Even though Periyar was a strong opponent of cinema, he open heartedly appreciated Thiru. (late) M.R.Radha as a Veteran Actor.

Periyar was a man of simplicity. He did not like even wasting water. When I was living with him, I used very many buckets of water to bathe. He scolded me, not to bathe like an elephant and leave some water for others also; like this so many moral characters and materialistic life, I learned from Periyar. Yes, he had disciplined me. Our entire Tamizh Society agreed his fraternal care and fondly called him "Thanthai Periyar". I am proud of being hailed from his genetic clan.


-Kumaran.R.T

Comments

Popular Posts