MY GRANDPA

Series-1


Designed by Komman Man

My GrandPa
And
His days with Thanthai Periyar

      I was with my grandpa when he shared his vivid memoirs with a reporter from a newspaper. Here the interview was narrated by him.

"Don't bath like an elephant and wastewater; because one day you've to pay the price even for the drinking water".
What a prophet he was! Today we buy drinking water by paying money. 

Now I will take you to the days I lived with Thanthai Periyar. It all started in such a way -
 
   I am C.V.Rajagopal and a close relative of  Thanthai Periyar. After completing my Graduation at Coimbatore Govt. Arts College in between 1951-1953, I got an appointment order as a Supervisor in Southern Railways Telecom Department in Chennai in 1955; I met Periyar, at his Meeran Shahib street residence; seeing my appointment order he asked about my whereabouts. I replied to him that I’ve no idea. He advised me to stay with him in the same house. It was really an opportunity, I ever had in my life.
Then my new life started with Periyar. As per everyday schedule, I would go to my office in the morning; after my office hours I spent the rest of the time with Periyar; normally he used to read books till 9:00 PM. Every night, Dr.Rathinavel Subramanian used to come to checkup Periyar's health and asked him, " What ayya, even at this late hours you are reading? 
For that Periyar had answered him by quoting a few lines from the Famous Tamil Literature "Thiruppugazh". 

 " Thadunkol Manathai Vidunkol Veguliai Thanam Endrum Idunkol Irunthapadi Irunkol Eluparum Uyyak Kodung Kobassurudun Kundram Thirakka Thulaikka Vaivel Vidunkol Arulvanthu Thanae Umakka Welippadumae". (Control your emotions, Give up anger, Be magnanimous and Be as you are). 

Then he also advised his physician the first priority should be given to his patients who are paying him and patiently waiting for him; then only you should go to Thiruthani to pray Lord Muruga. His physician gave up visiting Thiruthani; why I am telling this here- because Dr.Rathinavel Subramaniam had a habit of visiting Thiruthani Murugan every day morning and then only he would attend his patients.
 

                                                              (To be Contd.)


-Kumaran.R.T

Comments

Popular Posts